The Hands-on Museum
The art of calligraphy
We help you rediscover the old art of calligraphy. Since the beginning of the 16th century there have been textbooks and books of samples, "calligraphy" books which contain instructions on how to produce a wide range of different writing styles and samples of scripts for copying and all kinds of ornate lettering.
Model writing templates featuring old scripts, quills, steel nibs and ink provide an ideal opportunity to practice your penmanship. They can be used to create poems, letters and stories.
Activity: Using tracing paper mounted on a writing template, you can copy the script using a quill or a steel nib. The words are composed in upper and lowercase letters by moving the tracing paper. And of course, anyone feeling brave enough can write freehand.
Age: from class three
Curriculum link: German, art
Information and reservation:
Phone: +49 341 2271-324
Information German Museum of Books and Writing
- Clay tablets - Scrolls - Codices: How old are our books?
- Children's books throughout history
- Paper folding
- Matchstick men and flip books: a serious guide to a fun topic
- Child's play with paper: Paper and papier-mâché
- The art of calligraphy
- From papyrus to paper
- Nature printing
- Home-made decorated paper
- From pages to books: A step-by-step guide to bookbinding
- 24 dots and dashes: Chinese script
- Black on white: book printing
- The Book of Books: The Bible
- The medieval book
- The book city of Leipzig
- Short history of handwriting
- Typography: The ABC of typefaces
- How are book illustrations made?
- Family Sunday
- Creative workshop
- Holiday programme
- Museum Trunk
- Welcome! The Hands-on Museum
- Creative programme for the over-60s
- Guided tours for children
Last update: 23.6.2017