Cultural Events of the German Music Archive
Historic players and sound recordings // Guided tour of the German Music Archive // German National Library in Leipzig // Bookable dates
The tour traces the developmental history of players and sound recordings as showcased in the exhibition of the German Music Archive. Many different types of music reproduction equipment are presented: gramophones, an automatic reproduction player piano and early players of digital sound recordings. Forms of music notation, famous record covers and examples of sound recording damage are also featured. From analogue media such as wax cylinders, shellac and vinyl records through to the world of digital sound recordings – the tour of the German Music Archive gives you an overview of the entire spectrum of music reproduction.
We are happy to focus on specific topics relating to sound recording history in our tours. The music reading room and the acoustically insulated listening studio are also included.
Information and contact
Modalities of use are only touched upon briefly during the tour. See "Introductory Session for German Music Archive Users" for further details.
The guided tour is also suitable for school classes of year six and above.
Deposit your coats, jackets and umbrellas in the cloakroom before starting the tour. A one or two euro coin is required for depositing bags, rucksacks etc. in the lockers provided. The coin is returned when you empty the locker.
Bookings can be made for groups of between seven and 20 people. Guided tours are offered from 9:00 to 15:00 Mondays to Fridays. Please inquire at least three weeks before the relevant date.
approx. 1.5 hours
Foyer of the old building
- "Der unsichtbare Pianist" // // Second concert on a historic reproducing piano // German Music Archive of the German National Library in Leipzig // Wednesday, 14. November 2018, 18:00
- 4th "Notenspur-Nacht der Hausmusik" // "Musik zu Hause in Leipzig" // German Music Archive of the German National Library in Leipzig // Saturday, 24 November 2018, 19:00 to 21:00 // fully booked
- Historical reproduction equipment and sound recordings // Permanent exhibition at the German Music Archive // German National Library in Leipzig
- Historic players and sound recordings // Guided tour of the German Music Archive // German National Library in Leipzig // Bookable dates
- Schmonzetten, Schmäh und Parodie (Melodrama, snide humour and parody) // Early 20th century word and tone poems from the German Music Archive of the German National Library on YouTube
Last update: 22.10.2018