Using the reading rooms
Items from the German National Library’s collection can be searched and ordered through the catalogue. Furthermore, both locations offer reading rooms with extensive openly accessible reference material and the Electronic Reference Library (EHB - Elektronische Handbibliothek) containing a permanent collection of roughly 500 works covering all disciplines.
The use of the Internet free of charge is possible with a valid user card via WLAN and via Internet stations in the reading rooms.
Reading rooms in Leipzig
Some 60,000 publications of the reference library are available for direct use in the reading rooms. In addition, users have access to the bio-bibliographic reference library and to special collections.
In the multimedia-/periodicals' reading room, in addition to current issues of about 1,800 journals from all subject areas, issues of selected titles from the last two years are available for consultation.
Leipzig reading rooms:
- Humanities Reading Room (Lesesaal Geisteswissenschaften) (available only in German)
- Science Reading Room (Lesesaal Naturwissenschaften) (available only in German)
- Technology Reading Room (Lesesaal Technik) (available only in German)
- Reading Room of the Anne-Frank-Shoah-Library(Lesesaal der Anne-Frank-Shoah-Bibliothek) (Collection of exile literature) (available only in German)
- Multimedia-/Periodicals Reading Room (Multimedia-/Zeitschriften-Lesesaal) (available only in German)
- Music Reading Room (Musiklesesaal) (special opening hours) (available only in German)
- Museums Reading Room (Museumslesesaal) (special opening hours) (available only in German)
Group work room in Leipzig
A group work room is available in the Humanities Reading Room.
It is equipped with a PC and six workstations. Wi-Fi is also provided.
You can book the room either directly at the Information Desk, by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling +49 341 2271 453.
Frequently asked questions for user services in Leipzig (FAQ) (available only in German)
Reading rooms in Frankfurt
An extensive reference library is available in the reading rooms. It holds reference works from all fields, including dictionaries, bibliographies, biographic encyclopaedias, around one hundred complete editions of German authors as well as periodicals and newspapers in both printed and digital form (e-Paper or CD-ROM).
Frankfurt reading rooms:
- Reading Room of the Deutsches Exilarchiv (special Opening hours)
Frequently asked questions for user services in Frankfurt (FAQ) (available only in German)
- Information Leipzig (Phone: +49 341 2271-453)
- Information Frankfurt am Main (Phone: +49 69 1525-2500)
Last update: 31.07.2017