The virtual exhibition "Arts in Exile" goes online in September. The German National Library is the first institution outside the Anglo-American world to become a member of the RDA Committee of Principals.
The German National Library celebrates its centenary by staging over 100 events. The Federal Republic of Germany pays tribute to the German National Library by issuing a commemorative coin and stamp. The centenary magazine HUNDERT is released. The permanent exhibition of the German Museum of Books and Writing - "Signs - Books - Networks: From Cuneiform to Binary Code" – opens in March. The Integrated Authority File (GND) goes into routine operation.
The annex building is to be opened in Leipzig on 9 May. The building houses stacks for the Library's holdings plus a reading room and exhibition space for the German Museum of Books and Writing (Deutsches Buch- und Schriftmuseum). The German Music Archive (Deutsches Musikarchiv) new reading room in an inner courtyard of the historical building is also to be officially opened.
The German National Library is the first institution outside the Anglo-American world to be invited to join the Joint Steering Committee for Development of the RDA (JSC). The interests of the German-speaking library community will therefore be directly represented in the development of the Resource Description and Access (RDA) standard.
From January the Deutsche Nationalbibliografie is issued as a free online journal. A new bibliographic series, Series O for online publications, is also introduced from January. The German Music Archive moves in December from Berlin to the Leipzig site.
The topping-out ceremony of the 4th annex building of the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek in Leipzig is celebrated in March. The German Museum of Books and Writing celebrates its 125th anniversary with a public function. From the middle of the year the catalogue enrichment service is first provided monthly, and then from September, weekly. The updated collection guidelines are published in the summer.
As of January the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek is using its new logo, completing the alteration process which began with the change of name. Michael Fernau becomes director and permanent deputy of the director general in Leipzig.
In October the Legal Deposit Regulation came into force, replacing the previous Regulation of 1982.
The cut of the spade in the autumn represents the start of the construction work for the 4 th annex building of the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek in Leipzig. It is scheduled for completion in 2010. The building work will involve the construction of new stacks, reading rooms and offices for the German Music Archive. This will move from Berlin to Leipzig once the work is complete.
The "Law regarding the German National Library" came into force on 29 June. The expansion of the collection brief to include online publications set the course for collecting, cataloguing and storing such publications as part of Germany's cultural heritage. The Library's highest management body, the Administrative Council, was expanded to include two MPs from the Bundestag. The law also changed the name of the library and its buildings in Leipzig, Frankfurt am Main and Berlin into "Deutsche Nationalbibliothek".
The Federal Commissioner for Cultural and Media Affairs initiates the amendment of the "Law regarding the Deutsche Bibliothek". The German National Bibliography is online: At http://dnb.d-nb.de, anyone can conduct research free of charge via public networks in the database of Die Deutsche Bibliothek. It catalogues the library's stocks and so fulfils the legal commission of Die Deutsche Bibliothek with regard to bibliographic cataloguing. From the bibliography year 2004 onwards Die Deutsche Bibliothek has classified the various series of the German National Bibliography as well as the New Release Service according to subject categories based on the two highest levels of the Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) system.
The New Release Service, which appears outside the series of the German National Bibliography and was developed in the context of an expanded co-operation with the MVB Marketing und Verlagsservice des Buchhandels GmbH, replaces the CIP service of Die Deutsche Bibliothek from January 2003. The latter had been published since 1974 as Series N (CIP) of the German National Bibliography. The project begun in 2002 to introduce a controlling system and a controlling organisation is completed. As a result the conceptual foundations for introducing controlling in Die Deutsche Bibliothek are established.
Die Deutsche Bibliothek and the German Publishers and Booksellers Association (Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels) conclude a framework agreement for the voluntary surrender of network publications for the purpose of cataloguing and archiving. The Börsenverein hands over to Die Deutsche Bibliothek the stocks of its Library and its Historical Archive. In the architectural competition for the urgently needed 4th extension of Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig, the design "Inhalt-Hülle-Umschlag" / "Content-Cover-Wrapping" of Stuttgart-based architect Gabriele Glöckler receive first place.
Birgit Schneider becomes director and permanent deputy director general of the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig. The Co-ordination Agency DissOnline is established at Die Deutsche Bibliothek.
On 1 June Die Deutsche Bibliothek takes over the functional work of the department for standard cataloguing from the German Library Institute. The newly founded Office for Library Standards is an organisational unit of Die Deutsche Bibliothek. The Society for Musical Performing and Mechanical Reproduction Rights (Gesellschaft für musikalische Aufführungs- und mechanische Vervielfältigungsrechte, GEMA) decides on the German Music Archive Berlin as the collection location for its notes. The entire stock of the GEMA archive of 210,000 notes is handed over to the German Music Archive Berlin.
Dr. Elisabeth Niggemann becomes director general of Die Deutsche Bibliothek. Ute Schwens becomes director and permanent deputy of the director general in Frankfurt am Main.
The Zentrum für Bucherhaltung (Centre for Book Preservation) in Leipzig is hived off as a private enterprise.
The Deutsche Bibliothek Frankfurt am Main moves into its new building. On 14 May the new building is officially inaugurated.
Irmgard Spencker becomes permanent deputy of the director general of the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig.
The large-scale technical facility for mass deacidification and the mechanised paper splitting machine go into operation in the Centre for Book Preservation of the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig. On 13 September the topping-out ceremony for the new building of the Deutsche Bibliothek Frankfurt am Main takes place.
On 23 June the Anne-Frank-Shoah-Bibliothek of the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig is officially presented to the public and opened for use.
In the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig building measures are carried out to preserve the substance of the building.
The Music Information Centre of the Association of Composers and Music Scholars of the GDR was absorbed by the German Music Archive Berlin. On 3 January the first issue of the joint "German National Bibliography" appears.
With the unification of Germany on 3 October, the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig and the Deutsche Bibliothek Frankfurt am Main are merged in the new institution Die Deutsche Bibliothek. The director general is Professor Klaus-Dieter Lehmann. The permanent deputy of the director general in Frankfurt am Main is Kurt Nowak, in Leipzig Dr. Gottfried Rost.
1988 Frankfurt am Main
Professor Klaus-Dieter Lehmann becomes director general of the Deutsche Bibliothek Frankfurt am Main. The Deutsche Bibliographie appears on CD-ROM for the first time.
The function as a regional centre for conservation and restoration of the IFLA (International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions) is assigned to the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig's restoration workshop. The latter had been set up in 1964 and in the meantime considerably expanded.
The Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig begins with the work assigned to it as the ISBN (International Standard Book Number) agency of the GDR.
Inauguration of the newly erected storage tower of the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig. The library has an overall collection of 4.3 million books.
1982 Frankfurt am Main
"Decree on the legal deposit of printed works to the Deutsche Bibliothek" of 14 December (amended version).
Movement of the German Music Archive Berlin into the Correns mansion in the Gärtnerstraße ("Siemens Villa").
In the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig the national ISSN agency (International Standard Serial Number) of the GDR is set up.
1976 Frankfurt am Main
Professor Dr. Günther Pflug becomes director general of the Deutsche Bibliothek.
1973 Frankfurt am Main
First decree on the legal deposit of music notes and music records to the German Music Archive of the Deutsche Bibliothek ("1. Pflichtstückverordnung Musik") of 6 June. The Deutsche Bibliothek becomes the national centre in the international ISDS network (International Serials Data System).
The Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig begins to produce the German National Bibliography with the aid of EDP.
The Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig is assigned the function of "Central co-ordinating institution for bibliography and bibliographical work in the GDR".
On 1 January the German Music Archive Berlin is established in Berlin in accordance with the statutory mandate as a department of the Deutsche Bibliothek. Charge is taken of the collections of the Deutsche Musik-Phonothek and its activities are continued.
1969 Frankfurt am Main
The Bundestag approves the "Law regarding the Deutsche Bibliothek" and thus its establishment as a federal corporation under public law. The Federal Republic of Germany becomes its sole source of support. The Deutsche Bibliothek is identified as the central archive library of the Federal Republic of Germany. The surrender of legal deposit compulsory copies for the first time receives a federal legal foundation.
1966 Frankfurt am Main
The Deutsche Bibliothek Frankfurt am Main begins to compile its bibliographies with the aid of EDP.
The German Paper Museum in Greiz is incorporated into the Deutsche Bücherei and is assigned to the German Museum of Books and Writing.
1963 Frankfurt am Main
The Börsenverein decides that members who surrender no copies to the Deutsche Bibliothek in violation of the obligation under the articles of association are to be expelled from the Börsenverein.
The deputy of the principal director and director of the department of acquisitions and access, Helmut Rötzsch, is appointed principal director (from 1964 director general) of the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig. He holds this position until 1990.
The board of the Börsenverein der Deutschen Buchhändler zu Leipzig bequeaths the residual stock of the former library of the association to the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig. It is assigned to the German Museum of Books and Writing.
1959 Frankfurt am Main
Move to the new building on the Zeppelinallee. The collection comprises around 480,000 units. Professor Dr. Kurt Köster becomes director of the Deutsche Bibliothek Frankfurt am Main.
The legal deposit of printed matter in the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig is regulated for the GDR by a directive. Curt Fleischhack, director of the bibliographic department, is appointed principal director of the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig.
1952 Frankfurt am Main
The Deutsche Bibliothek Frankfurt am Main becomes a foundation under public law according to Hessian foundation law. The founders are the Federal State of Hesse and the City of Frankfurt am Main. The Federal Republic of Germany and the German Publishers and Booksellers Association participate in the foundation. All four provide support.
The German Museum of Books and Writing is incorporated as a department in the Deutsche Bücherei.
1947 Frankfurt am Main
The Deutsche Bibliothek Frankfurt am Main becomes in legal terms an institution of the book trade and of the City of Frankfurt am Main. Professor Hanns Wilhelm Eppelsheimer, director of the Frankfurt University Library, becomes the first director of the Deutsche Bibliothek. The book stock comprises around 14,000 units.
The "German National Bibliography" is once again published in Leipzig. Dr. Georg Kurt Schauer, Heinrich Cobet, Vittorio Klostermann and Professor Hanns Wilhelm Eppelsheimer, director of the Frankfurt University Library since 1 January, initiate the re-foundation of a German archive library based in Frankfurt am Main. The federal state representatives of the book trade in the American zone agree to the proposal. The city of Frankfurt agrees to support the planned archive library with personnel and financial resources. The US military government gives its approval. On 4 November the library is officially given the name "Deutsche Bibliothek". The Deutsche Bibliothek begins its work in the tobacco room of the former Rothschild library in the Untermainkai 15, which serves the bombed university library as accommodation. The copy deadline for the first issue of the "Bibliography of the Deutsche Bibliothek, Frankfurt am Main" is 12 December. As a result there are two libraries in Germany, which assume the duties and function of a national library for the later GDR and the Federal Republic of Germany, respectively. Two national bibliographic catalogues appear, which are almost identical in content.
In November the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig is re-opened. With the division of Germany into four zones, the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig loses its position as the sole central archive library. In the western zones of Germany, efforts to rebuild book trading and library institutions soon centre on Frankfurt am Main.
After the air raids on Leipzig (1943) and fire damage to the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig, the building is closed for use from January onwards. Around 1.6 million books are removed.
The collection principles are extended (retrospectively from 1941) to translations of German works into foreign languages, foreign language works on Germany (Germanica), sheet music (from 1943) and works of graphic art.
With the "Law regarding the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig" the library is removed from the custody of the Börsenverein. It becomes an incorporated institution under public law.
The restrictive measures of the Reich Ministry for Public Enlightenment and Propaganda lead to separate listing of so-called undesirable literature, which from 1939 to 1944 appears as the "List of documents in the Deutsche Bücherei kept under lock and key".
A directive of the Reich Chamber of Culture obliges the associations, publishers and individuals subject to it to surrender their documents to the Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig. The processing of the "Annual index of German university publications" is assigned to the library.
The Deutsche Bücherei Leipzig, which until then had belonged to the Reich Ministry of Interior, is made subordinate to the Reich Ministry for Public Enlightenment and Propaganda. NSDAP offices are introduced to monitor measures for enforced cultural and spiritual conformity.
For the first time the German National Bibliography appears in the series A (new publications of the book trade) and B (new publications outside the book trade). The processing of the "Semi-annual index of new publications of the German book trade" and the "German index of books" is taken on.
Dr. Heinrich Uhlendahl, previously library councillor of the general administration of the Prussian State Library in Berlin, assumes the direction of the Deutsche Bücherei till his death in 1954.
The Börsenverein der Deutschen Buchhändler zu Leipzig transfers to the Deutsche Bücherei the processing of the "Daily index of new publications" and the "Weekly index of new and prepared publications of the book trade".
Professor Dr. Georg Minde-Pouet assumes the direction of the Deutsche Bücherei and carries on its expansion until 1923 despite extreme economic difficulties.
Built in the war years 1914 to 1916, the Deutsche Bücherei is erected according to the plans of Oskar Pusch and under the building direction of Karl Schmidt and Karl Julius Baer. The building is formally inaugurated on 2 September.
Dr. Gustav Wahl is appointed director. He decisively guides the building construction and organisation of the collections until 1916.
The City of Leipzig, the centre of the book and publishing trades in the German Reich, the Kingdom of Saxony and the Börsenverein der Deutschen Buchhändler zu Leipzig conclude an agreement on the foundation of the Deutsche Bücherei based in Leipzig. The task of the Deutsche Bücherei from 1 January 1913 on is to collect, catalogue bibliographically and make available for use free of charge German and foreign-language literature published in Germany and German-language literature published abroad.
Last update: 05.10.2017