NESTOR - Network of Expertise in Long-term Storage of Digital Resources
The objective of the project was to create a competence network of long-term archival storage and long-term availability of digital resources in Germany. The competence network should create structures, which ensure that digital resources in Germany are archived on a long-term basis, are secured and are made available for use. Through national and international co-operation, a contribution was achieved towards safeguarding our global cultural heritage. Within the project, the following range of choices were developed, among others
- a Web-based information forum with various content options for long-term archival storage and long-term availability of digital resources in Germany
- criteria for trusted digital repositories
- suggestions for procedures for a certification system for digital archives
- policies for long-term archival storage of digital resources
- a work-structure for the long-term availability of digital resources in the museum area
- co-ordination of division of duties and the assumption of long-term duties, especially in the delineation between the library, archive and museum areas
German National Library was in charge of carrying out the project in co-operation with
- FernUniversität in Hagen (since 2006)
- Generaldirektion der Staatlichen Archive Bayerns (until 2006)
- The Federal Archives (2005-2009)
Since July 2009, nestor is maintained on the basis of a cooperation agreement between its partners.
The project was a sub-project of the project "Competence Network New Services, Standardisation, Metadata (Kompetenznetzwerk Neue Dienste, Standardisierung, Metadaten)", funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
1 June 2003 - 30 June 2009
Last update: 06.12.2011